Aug 10, 2008

Four Corners Trip

Since Danny & Jean beat me to the punch, I'm here to fill you in on the 'real' trip report for our 3-day, 1,200 mile trip through NV, AZ, UT & CO.


Danny, Aaron and I started out early on the 19th of July (Saturday) for St. George, Utah to pick up Jorge (my friend from Norway - nice rhyme) and Travis (served a mission in Norway a couple of years after I left). From that point on it was nothing but driving (the moniker of Cruise-Control Bob has been revived), McDomald's Happy Meals (Transformer toys + french fries + sprites + car trip = my boys), pictures, outdooooooorziness and speaking in Norwegian.


Danny and Aaron at Cedar Breaks NM, UT


On our first day we conquered Cedar Breaks NM, Bryce Canyon NP (home to the $12 footlong, not to be cofused with the $5 footlong; we also experienced a dead car battery at the park), Capitol Reef National Park and ended the day by making camp in Goblin Valley State Park.

Aaron with his adoptees

Welcome to the Valley of Goblins
Jorge from Norway and the Goblin Royal Family

Sleeping in Goblin Valley was miserable - nothing like my previous wintertime trips to the area. We ended up sweating out the night, not to the oldies with Richard Simmons, but to the warm air inside the Sienna.


Day 2 took us through Arches NP, Newspaper Rock State Park and finished in Cortez, CO, just outside of Mesa Verde NP. When we experienced high winds and rain at Mesa Verde we decided that it was best to overnight in a hotel in Cortez. This was good because I had to wash the processed french fries and hamburger out of Aaron's clothes. Too many windy roads.


Our final day took us from the cooler weather of SW Colorado, past Mexican Hat, through Monument Valley (where I told the kids that Lightning McQueen lives here), over the Glen Canyon Dam in Page, AZ, by Hildale, UT and Colorado City, AZ and through the woods to grandmo . . . . I mean, to Las Vegas.

Monument Valley, Home to Lightning McQueen


I'm proud of my boys - they behaved admirably and said they enjoyed trip. Well, they enjoyed the Happy Meals. And sprites.

You can view more pictures of our trip here or here if you'd like to see where each of the pictures was taken along our trip. Maps are cool.

No comments: