Jun 14, 2010

Do They Speak English There?

Aaron and I took a week-long trip in May to see my grandparents in the western part of Virginia, just outside of Roanoke.

In prepping Aaron for the trip, I told him we were going to see my grandparents and that it was on the other side of the country. I explained that it would take a while to get there and that we would have to travel by plane. He was fine with that. A couple of minutes passed and he came back to ask how long it would take to get there. I told him it would take most of the day and several hours on the plane. He thought for a minute and then asked "Do they speak English in Virginia?" Funny that the 'language barrier' was one of his biggest concerns. I told him that they spoke close enough to English that he'd be ok. I called my grandparents later to tell them they needed to polish up on their English.

We had a great time. Aaron and I took a redeye that left Vegas at 10:45 landed in Charlotte sometime around 6am (EST) and after a 3 hour layover, departed for Roanoke arriving around 10:30. We were pretty tired, but happy to touchdown in familiar territory. What followed were several trips for Aaron to Wal-Mart to get a new Lego kit or other toy, many Happy Meals, a couple of high points (Virginia and Kentucky), good home cooking, great company (grandparents and my Aunt, Uncle & cousin visiting from Germany), a graduation ceremony (my cousin Tanner graduated with honors from VMI - the Virginia Military Institute), vegetation and rain. Aaron enjoyed staying up late, all of the attention, getting to explore (and get lost in) my granparent's house, eating banana popsicles and visiting my great aunt and uncle across the street. Aaron did well and charmed them all - I was proud of him and had fun spending extra time with him and sharing him with family he hadn't met or barely remembered.

No comments: